Former Sports Cabinet Secretary Hassan Wario has a case to answer over the misappropriation of Rio 2016 Olympic funds, a Nairobi Magistrate Court ruled on Friday.
The ruling that the prosecution had a prima facie case against Wario was delivered by Trial Magistrate Elizabeth Juma.
The court is set to convene in the first week of February 2020 when Wario, who was dismissed as Kenya’s Ambassador to Vienna, Austria in May following his arraignment in court in August 2018, will defend himself against evidence levelled against him by the prosecution which has so far produced 22 witnesses in court.
President Uhuru Kenyatta appointed Robison Githae, formerly Kenya’s Ambassador to the United States, to replace Wario in May.
Wario is said to have overseen the misappropriation of Sh55 million earmarked for the 2016 Olympic at the Rio de Janeiro in Brazil.
Director of Public Prosecutions Noordin Haji while announcing the prosecution of Wario and senior sports ministry officials said Sh22.4 million was embezzled and a further Sh16.8 million used to purchase tickets which were not utilized.
Sh 15.9 billion was paid in allowances and Sh6.5 million paid to unauthorized persons.
Wario Ex-Sports Principal Secretary Richard Ekai, former director of administration in the Sports Ministry Stephen Soi and National Olympic Committee of Kenya (Nock) Secretary General Francis Kanyili faced a total of six counts in October last year, all of which they denied.
Others charged were former Sports officials Haron Chebet Komen (Director of Administration) and Patrick Kimithi Nkabu (Finance Officer).
SOURCE: CAPITAL NEWS