SHARE

Education Cabinet Secretary George Magoha has sounded the last warning to school heads just two weeks since the phased reopening of schools began. 

Magoha was speaking on Wednesday, October 28, during a tour of Muruguru Girls Secondary school in Nyeri County where he inspected the distribution of desks.

He warned primary and secondary school heads that resumption of learning had only been approved for Grade Four, Class Eight and Form Four students. 

The CS noted that some private and international schools had permitted onsite learning for students outside the allowed classes, against the government’s directives. 

“The government has not opened schools for other children whether in public, private and international schools. If anyone is bringing in more children that we had said in the beginning, we are going to react swiftly. 

“This is the last warning for whoever feels that he or she is bold enough to open schools without authority. I want a full report on my desk, otherwise, the government will react and we should not be blamed for what actions we take,” Magoha spoke. 

The Ministry of Education has also maintained that learning for Grade Four, Class Eight and Form Four students will continue despite an increase in cases.

Education PS Belio Kipsang’, while appearing before the National Assembly Committee on Education on the same day, reported that 35 schools countrywide had reported cases so far, but ruled out any possibility of closure of schools in the immediate future.

“We are not about to close schools unless advised by the Ministry of Health, but we are putting our heads together to work our modalities of reopening other classes,” Kipsang told MPs.

He admitted that the ministry’s biggest headache would be achieving social distancing in public schools when all students resume learning.

He explained that schools would need to double the current infrastructure to adhere to the Ministry of Health directives. 

Across the country, 17 students and 33 teachers have so far tested positive for Covid-19 since schools reopened.

The Ministry of Health is conducting targeted testing in Maranda High School after a student tested positive for the virus.

SHARE

NO COMMENTS

LEAVE A REPLY