Israel ordered thousands of people into quarantine after a contentious phone surveillance programme resumed as Palestinians in the West Bank returned to life under lockdown after both areas saw surges in coronavirus cases.
A statement from Israel’s Health Ministry said “many” messages had been sent to Israelis following the renewed involvement of the Shin Bet domestic security agency. The Israeli newspaper Haaretz reported that more than 30,000 people were notified they must enter quarantine since Thursday.
“We wanted to continue and open the economy as much as possible but with the amount of infections, which appeared like a very high cliff, it forced us at this point to get involved more aggressively,” Israel’s defence minister, Benny Gantz, told Israeli Army Radio.
Al Jazeera News