AS Monaco will offer refunds to visiting fans who came to watch their club get hammered by Paris Saint-Germain 7-1 in Ligue 1 on Sunday.
Monaco, who had been the reigning champions, officially saw their title defense come to an end at the hands of PSG, who had jumped out to a 4-0 advantage inside a half hour.
A late first-half goal from Rony Lopes may have given the visitors a sliver of hope, but PSG would tack on three more in the second half to emphatically reclaim the Ligue 1 crown.
So bad was the thumping that Monaco took to Twitter after the game to offer reimbursement to their fans who were on hand at the Parc des Princes to witness the heavy defeat.
“AS Monaco has made the decision to refund the red and white supporters present in the visitors’ gallery tonight,” the tweet read. “The arrangements will be communicated at the beginning of the week.”
Monaco vice president Vadim Vasilyev also apologized to supporters after the game.
“For us it was a catastrophic scenario,” Vasilyev said. “The only ones who have lived up to it are our supporters and I thank them. They pushed the team, but there was nothing we could do. We will do everything to make them proud in the next match ”
The defeat will no doubt linger in the minds of the supporters for a while but the Monaco manager Leonardo Jardim echoed his frustrations at the loss and believes everyone at the club must work to improve.
“This will stay in my head,” Jardim said. “This is my biggest loss as a coach. Now everyone, players and staff – we all have to do more to get to a higher level. ”
Likewise,Vasilyev thinks his team must not close the door on the season and fight to finish as high as they can in the table.
“We took a knock-down tonight but not a knock-out,” he said. “It’s up to us to get that second place. I expect an answer from my players from Saturday against Guingamp.